Our Company History
In 1988, Trevor Ledgard – a Grape Grower and qualified Engineer of McLaren Vale South Australia, realised “There had to be a better way” He wanted a multipurpose pruning system that would handle both thick winter canes and light green trimming without damaging his vines. The cost of labour was becoming a major challenge for grape growers during pruning season, so too was time, vineyards were becoming larger and there simply weren’t enough good hand pruners in the market.
Combining his experience as a grape grower, his skill as an engineer, and the advantages of CAD design he developed the Ledgard Pruning System. This decision was considered at the time to be a pioneering step in Mechanical Pruning. The primary focus of the business was to provide the following.
- The very best parts and material available to make the most durable machines in the market.
- Over engineered product designed to produce high output at the lowest running speeds possible to ensure long equipment life and minimal tractor stress.
- As much Australian Built product as possible for a sustainable long future.
In 2012 Trevor sold his company to John Harnett the eldest son of John and Joan Harnett of “McLaren Heights” a vineyard with a reputation of growing some of the best red wine grapes in the area. John trained as a Diesel Mechanic at Wrights Tractor Service in McLaren Vale and then went on to work in the heavy diesel equipment and rental market for more than 25 years.
John’s return to the area and purchase of the business marks and important time for the company. In the past 7 years he has brought in new people, skills and manufacturing equipment in an effort to maintain the original core values of the business and allow expansion and growth. Key milestones for the business since 2012 are.
- Acquisition of a new CNC Milling machine – more than 90% of all equipment is now made on site.
- Continuing creation of new products including Undervine sweeper, Undervine slasher and Vine Shaper.
- Refinement and evolution of the pruning system to suit Orchards such as Olives, Almonds, Citrus and Tropical varieties.
- Development of an export market and ongoing demand in South Africa, Argentina, Chile, & USA.
- New business in the development of fabrication of Aluminium safety walkways and access in the Construction Industry.
- Specialised CAD design and CNC Milling projects.
- Introduction of the fabrication of Seymour Rural Spreaders to the South Australian Market.
Markets we Service
- Wine Grape Market
- Table Grape Market
- Stone Fruit Market
- Nut Market
- Berry Market